What is CBD?CBD -- short for cannabidiol (ka-nə-bə-ˈdī-ȯl) -- is a natural compound found in the hemp plant commonly taken by people seeking relief from pain, inflammation, anxiety and depression, as well as issues relating to skin, joints, and even brain health among other purposes. Legalized nationally in 2018, the hemp plant is part of the cannabis family and has proven to be an excellent source of CBD -- one of many cannabinoids found in the plant. Unlike other variations of cannabis, hemp does NOT produce large amounts of the cannabinoid known as THC (0.3% or less) -- the psychoactive ingredient associated with “feeling high”. Because CBD is non-intoxicating, its associated benefits to wellness have grown exponentially more popular and is being consumed in many different ways from lotions and topicals, to capsules and edibles.
Is CBD Legal?Hemp-derived CBD is fully legal in all 50 states. On December 12, 2018, a bi-partisan Congress passed and the President signed into law the Agriculture Improvement Act of 2018 (commonly called The Farm Bill) legalizing the production and sale of hemp and hemp products, including hemp-derived CBD. All Vertical Wellness brands comply with the Bill, which allows the consumption of CBD products not containing more than 0.3% of THC. CBD alone does not have any psychoactive effects and will not register on any drug tests.
How does CBD work?
All humans and mammals have their own Endocannabinoid System (ECS), which exists to help the body maintain overall wellness. The ECS plays a role in regulating many physiological functions like sleep, mood, appetite, memory, and stress. CBD and other cannabinoids attach to the receptors of the ECS, acting like a lock-in-key to allow the body to complete the cycle. The overall effect of this is homeostasis, or “balance.” Endocannabinoids are found through-out the body in the nervous system, immune system, brain, organs, and tissue.
Why should I take CBD? What are the benefits of CBD?
Many people work CBD into their daily routine to supplement their health and wellness regimen. Since CBD helps expedite the natural process of the Endocannabinoid System (ECS), it is regarded to benefit issues relating to pain, inflammation, stress, memory, mood, appetite, digestion, sleep, and problem skin. Because the ECS naturally exists in all mammals, pets can benefit from the effects of CBD as well. CBD can be consumed in many ways, including lotions, creams, tinctures, capsules, and even beverages and food.
How Much CBD Should I take?The amount of CBD you should take depends on a range of factors, including body weight, the condition being addressed, individual body chemistry, and the concentration of CBD in each form being consumed. It is recommended to always follow the instructions on the back of all CBD products for proper dosage and consult with your physician regarding further questions or concerns. It can take a few weeks of consistent use to experience the full benefits and effects of CBD.
TOP 7 CBD FACTS:
- CBD is non-psychoactive in nature, and therefore does not get you “high”
- Hemp-derived CBD is legal in all 50 states of America
- People are consuming CBD products in a wide variety of formats, most commonly seeking relief from pain, inflammation, stress, sleeplessness, and/or skin issues
- CBD is growing in popularity, with sales expected to top $20 Billion by 2023
- Humans and animals naturally produce Endocannabinoid receptors that bond to the Endocannabinoids found in CBD, thereby promoting homeostasis which keeps our bodies in balance and ensures our biological systems function to the best of their ability
- CBD is not lethal and is non-toxic, so there is no concern associated with overdosing on CBD
- According to the World Health Organization, “In humans, CBD exhibits no effects indicative of any abuse or dependence potential…”